Friday, December 1, 2017

Journey to the Paradise

The boatman lit the motor breaking the placid environment of its clamor.Just in time, my heart flooded with unexplainable longing.And as the boat sailed away from the island I can’t help recounting with how the events have turned.

Our bus left Cubao to Daet, Camarines Norte a little over 12midnight. We should have left around 8pm had I and Ad reserved our tickets prior to our departure. Obviously we haven’t taken into consideration the influx of passenger during Lent as we agreed to take our fate on chances. Four hours of waiting and delay didn’t bend our conviction and happy spirits. On board, we estimated our arrival and twelve midnight will work just fine. We will still reach our destination on timeOr so we thought.

I woke up around 7:30am later and I almost burst in disbelief when I learned from Ad that we are still way far from alighting. We were caught in a seemingly endless traffic. Another thing we forgot to consider is the road condition in this season. I mocked myself in silence for that foolishness and at the same time murmur prayers that we may be able to catch the passenger boat in Paracale that (apparently) leaves around 12-1pm daily.Hours passed and I already give up the last strand of chance when we were still in the roads of Quezon province around 12noon, losing our only chance of the passenger boat in Paracale. Three hours more under that grueling trip when we finally disembarked in the town of Labo around 3pm. What supposedly a 7-8 hours travel turned into 14.5hours grueling bus ride. More than the aching body and restlesness our biggest dilemma is how we'll be able to reach Calaguas Island at that hour and within our budget.Almost all weekenders must have been already enjoying the island by then. Our last resort is to hire a boat which would seriously damage our pockets. i struggled hard to defy the negativity that's slowly creeping my mind at the moment.

It's the journey rather than the destination. Cliche as it may seems, this was the thought that keeps me hold on, the experience itself is already worth it.  It was clear that we were holding on to something uncertain but Ad and I gave it one last push.We decided to head to Vinzons pushing our luck to the limit. And just before I'm about to accept that our first day might end with nothing but a mere peek at the fishport, a local came and pointed us to the last boat that's about to leave for Mangkawayan. We wasted no time and found ourselves haggling for the ride. We got it! Yes we got it for P250. 

Excitement was evident on our faces as the boat navigated into the open sea around 5pm. Finally. I must admit I was scared of the big waves but that doesn’t prevent me from appreciating all magnificent views at our disposal.Sunset.Sky.Stars.

Our boatman was kind enough to guide us to Mahabang Buhangin after disembarking in Mangkawayan. It was just a 15minutes trek though. No sweat.And finally, yes! We have stepped on the paradise that has risen to fame in a short period of time. The views are but beautiful and serene that I forgot Ad (Sorry buddy) had already prepared the stove for our dinner while I was just sitting comfortably beside our tent. My mind wandered into the white fine sand and the spectacular nebula above.Yes it was only yesterday…Truly it's not always the destination that concludes a great trip but I'm glad we had both, the journey and the destination at its finest. I’ll definitely go back, I promise.

I looked back and sealed that promise as I watched the island shrink from view until it finally disappeared into the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

She will be loved

Anyone who know her would describe her as strong willed, independent, a walking ray of sunshine...The woman who can do everything, sol...